Author: Weijia Huang & Qun Ao
How Far Away Is the Sun? satisfies the need for fun and interesting supplementary reading material for Chinese language learners. The second in the five-volume Cheng & Tsui Readings in Chinese Culture series, this collection of ten original essays is ideal for intermediate students in their first semester of second-year Chinese, or at the "Intermediate Mid" level, as designated by ACTFL proficiency guidelines.
Used as a supplement to any intermediate Mandarin Chinese textbook, or as reading material for independent learners, How Far Away Is the Sun? will reinforce students' grasp of Chinese vocabulary and grammar while also strengthening their understanding of Chinese culture.
Given the cultural focus of the AP and other standardized Chinese exams, teachers will welcome this resource that seamlessly combines language learning with an introduction to both classical and contemporary Chinese culture.
- Each essay of approximately 500 characters is presented in both simplified and traditional characters, on facing pages.
- Essay topics cover a range of cultural issues, from the perils of Internet dating, to appreciating traditional Chinese painting, to social effects of the one-child policy.
- A vocabulary list, related words and expressions, and an optional exercise section accompany each lesson.
- For students who prefer to read pinyin along with Chinese characters, an appendix of each essay in pinyin is included.
- Answer keys at the back of the book help learners gauge their own progress.