Author: Weijia Huang & Qun Ao
The Sky Is Bright with Stars invites students to appreciate the rich textures of traditional and contemporary Chinese culture while sharpening their reading skills. The first in the five-volume Cheng & Tsui Readings in Chinese Culture series, this collection often original essays is ideal for intermediate students in their second semester of first-year Chinese, or at the "Intermediate Low" level, as designated by ACTFL proficiency guidelines.
Used as a supplement to any intermediate Mandarin Chinese textbook, or as reading material for independent learners, The Sky Is Bright with Stars will reinforce students' grasp of Chinese vocabulary and grammar while also strengthening their understanding of Chinese.
Given the cultural focus of the AP and other standardized Chinese exams, teachers will welcome this resource that seamlessly combines language learning with an introduction to both classical and contemporary Chinese culture.
- Each essay of approximately 500 characters is presented in both simplified and traditional characters on facing pages.
- Essays cover a range of cultural topics, from respect for the elderly to fast food options
- in China to the legends behind Chinese constellations.
- A vocabulary list, related words and expressions, and an optional exercise section accompany each lesson.
- For students who prefer to read pinyin along with Chinese characters, an appendix of each essay in pinyin is included.
- Answer keys at the back of the book help learners gauge their own progress.